Friday, September 23, 2011

I'm having problems with the tail lights on my 2000 chevy malibu?

This alll started when I changed the brake light and all lights in the rear (lft and rt side) went out. After that we changed the blue fuse #15 in the door panel but whenever you pressed the brake it kept blowing, then we took out the rt tail light circuit board and it stopped blowing and the lft started working a little (turn signal, brake and reverse work but parking lights don't work, the plate lights don't work) Can someone help me? My husband wants to replace the rt circuit board but I'm not convinced that's the problem (why would that stop the other lights from working?), there's no rust in any of the sockets.
I'm having problems with the tail lights on my 2000 chevy malibu?
first...be sure you installed the correct bulb,s....a # 3057 %26amp; a # 3157 look the same but interchanging them can cause problem,s similar to your,s ...then check the contact,s in the socket,s ...they are prone to heat distortion...problem,s like these can be very difficult to diagnose without the proper equipment ...the circuit board could cause the problem,s you stated just by being disconnected...not allowing the circuit to be completed...it may or not be bad...testing with a multimeter is the only way to be sure [ other than replacing it]...check all wire,s for integrity %26amp; be sure all ground wire,s are secure...good luck!
I'm having problems with the tail lights on my 2000 chevy malibu?
Sounds to me like the system is grounding out some where. Not an easy task you just have to keep looking over the wires until you find the one that is grounded out. I found that you have the lights on and wiggle the wires and the lights go off and on you are close to resolving your issue.
the fuse is for the tail section lights.

trace back your work, and make sure you have good light bulbs when you replaced them.

once thats done, make sure the wires are not shorted out, ot touch the etal on the car. sometimes, people yank on the wires, and cause them to chafe and short out.

if thats all good, replace the fuse and try it again.